Last week, Brendan tackled how to answer the 5 unanswered questions customers face in the shopping cart (other than shipping costs). According to a recent study by PayPal and comScore, 45% of US online shoppers had abandoned shopping carts multiple times in just three weeks.
Why were shoppers abandoning their carts?
46% of online shoppers said high shipping charges were a “very important reason” for emptying carts. Is free shipping a must in this economy? Have you tested personalized shipping offers based on location?
Other reasons for abandonment included:
- Wanted to comparison shop: 37% – Are you saving their cart for at least 30 days, so they can return to it?
- Lack of money: 36% - Can you make them an offer they can’t refuse?
- Wanted to look for a coupon: 27% – Are you prompting them to look for coupons? It could be costing you a huge percentage of sales.
- Wanted to shop offline: 26% - Are you offering them options to pick up items in store?
- Couldn’t find preferred pay option: 24% - Find a way to GTC. Get The Cash!!!
- Item unavailable at checkout: 23% – Ooooops! This has to be dealt with on the product page or it will erode your brand trust.
- Couldn’t find customer support: 22% – This could be dealt with by using POA – point of action assurances (see the video below).
- Security concerns: 21% – This is also handled with point of action assurances and establishing more trust in your website.
Do you think you may need a cart whisperer? How many of these have you tried to deal with recently? Are you testing and optimizing you shopping cart? If not, why?